for The Judicial Council of the A.M.E Zion Church
The Book of Discipline of the A.M.E. Zion Church (The Discipline) provides for the establishment and construct of the Judicial Council. It also delineates the eligibility for membership. For your convenience, the appropriate paragraphs from The Discipline are attached at Exhibit 1. The Judicial Council recommends that the following procedure be used for vetting prospective members of the Judicial Council of the A.M.E. Zion Church and for inclusion then The Discipline:
1. Six (6) months prior to the General Conference, a nominating committee shall be established in accordance with Paragraph 363 of The Discipline.
2. A notice shall be published in The Star of Zion issued in March and April immediately preceding the General Conference. (A proposed publication notice is found at Exhibit 2.)
3. All applicants must submit the required information to the President of the Judicial Council not later than May 15 immediately preceding the General Conference. (See attached Publication Notice for details).
4. The Judicial Council shall evaluate the applications and provide a list of eligible applicants to the nominating committee not later than June 1 immediately prior to the General Conference. In the process of vetting the applicant’s The Judicial Council shall consider, among other things, the following:
a. The applicant’s affirmation of his/her understanding of the purpose and function of the Judicial Council.
b. The applicant’s affirmation of his/her understanding of the confidentiality of the work of the Judicial Council.
c. The applicant’s affirmation that he/she understand that to serve on the Judicial Council he/she may not serve as a connectional officer, as a delegate or on any connectional committees/boards.
d. Affirmation that the applicants understand that only in his/her minimum expenses will be reimbursed for attending required Judicial Council meetings.
5. The nominating committee shall provide a list of nominees to the appropriate office for inclusion on the electronic ballot at least 30 days prior to the General Conference.
6. That Paragraph 363(d) be removed from The Discipline.
Note: This was adopted by the 50th Quadrennial Session of the General Conference.